Did you know that today is Autism Awareness Day? Here at GC, we’re happy to spread awareness and acceptance of all people with autism. Our Democracy Coaches volunteer in classes with diverse student populations and always work to empower every student.
Here are some facts about autism from autismspeaks.org:
- Autism now affects 1 in 88 children and 1 in 54 boys
- Autism prevalence figures are growing
- Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
- Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average
- Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
- Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism
To become an autism advocate or to learn more about the disability, check out autism-society.org!